The first day of Baer was held in 1877, shortly after the death of K.E. von Baer. The tradition was carried on up to the 1920s. When the Baer house opened its doors in 1976, the tradition was restored and since then the Baer day has been celebrated on 28 February - the birthday of Karl Ernst von Baer. The organizer is the Centre for Science Studies in collaboration with the Estonian Naturalists´ Society.